Article I: Name
Section 1: The name of this association shall be "Trinity Heights Neighborhood Association, Inc." (hereinafter referred to as the Association). The address of the Association shall be that of the serving Secretary.
Article II: Purpose
Section 1: The purpose of the Association shall be:
- to develop and actively promote pride and involvement in the Trinity Heights neighborhood
- to actively work for preservation and protection of the neighborhood in internal ways such as encouragement of maintenance and beautification
- to actively work for the preservation and protection of the neighborhood in external ways such as the monitoring and opposing of any undesirable adverse affects the neighborhood, etc.
- to participate with other neighborhood associations in Durham in community-wide actions and activities related to general neighborhood protection and preservation.
Section 2: The association is and shall remain a non-profit organization as legally defined.
Article III: Membership
Section 1: Membership in the Association shall consist of home owners and other residents in the Trinity Heights neighborhood who fully subscribe to the purposes of the Association. Membership requires payment of annual dues and all members shall be voting members.
Section 2: Annual dues for membership shall be determined annually by the Executive Committee.
Section 3: The limits of the Trinity Heights neighborhood for purposes of membership shall be bound on the South by and include the properties on the North side of West Markham Avenue, bound on the East by and include the properties on West side of North Buchanan Boulevard, bound on the West by and include the properties on the East side of Broad Street, and bound on the North by and include the properties on the North side of Green Street.
Article IV: Executive Committee
Section 1: The management of the Association shall reside in an Executive Committee which will act for the Association in all matters.
Section 2: The Executive Committee shall consist of the elected officers of the Association four (4) officers and three (3) members at large elected from the membership. Officers must reside in the Trinity Heights neighborhood for a minimum of 12 months before serving. Each member of the Executive Committee shall have one vote. At least four (4) Committee members present at a meeting shall constitute a quorum for doing business.
Section 3: The powers and duties of the Executive Committee shall include:
- The establishment of Association policy
- Interpretation of the bylaws
- The establishment of annual dues
- The filling of unexpired terms of members of the Executive Committee
- The appointment of all standing or ad-hoc committees and their chairpersons.
- The annual appointment of a nominating committee comprised of three (3) individuals who are not members of the Executive Committee, for election of officers and the remaining members of the Executive Committee.
- It will be the duty of the Committee to keep the membership informed, by way of the Secretary, of any emergency, ad-hoc or immediate actions taken by the Executive Committee. Major decisions potentially involving the financial and other resources of the Association shall be discussed with the membership at a special meeting.
Article V: Officers
Section 1: The Officers shall be a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary and Treasurer. The officers shall be elected by the membership following the selections and deliberation of the Nominating Committee. Election of officers shall be for one (1) year and until their successors are elected and qualified. Officers' duties shall be as follows:
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the membership and Executive Committee.
- The Vice-President shall preside at all meetings in the absence of the President.
- The Secretary shall maintain all non-financial records of the Association and shall keep the minutes of the Association and the Executive Committee. The Secretary shall also distribute all notices of meetings by means deemed appropriate by the Committee.
- The Treasurer shall keep and be responsible for all funds of the Association and shall keep all financial records. All funds will be deposited in the name of the Trinity Heights Neighborhood Association. All bills shall be paid by the Treasurer and the Treasurer shall furnish a year-end financial statement.
Article VI: Meetings
Section 1: Meetings shall be held from time to time as determined to be necessary by the Executive Committee or by advanced scheduling. One (1) meeting of the membership shall be given over to election of the Executive Committee and at least one (1) meeting of the Executive Committee will be held for general business matters.
Section 2: Special meetings of the membership for whatever purpose may be called by the President or by the Secretary on petition of a simple majority of the membership.
Section 3: Twenty five (25) percent of dues-paid members shall constitute a quorum. Each member is entitled to one vote and proxy votes will not be permitted.
Section 4: The Secretary shall notify the membership of meetings at least ten (10) days in advance.
Article VII: Fiscal Year
Section 1: The fiscal year of the Association will be from January 1 to December 31.
Article VIII: Rules of Order
Section 1: The most recent edition of Robert's Rules of Order shall govern the proceedings of all annual and special meetings of the Association and Executive Committee.
Article IX: Amendments
Section 1: These bylaws can be amended by a simple majority vote of the membership at a scheduled or a special meeting.
Article X: Dissolution
Section 1: In the event of dissolution of the Association, remaining monies shall be given to a tax-exempt organization approved by a simple majority of the membership.